Today we are going to cook amazing chips or some might call them wedges! Do you have some potatoes at home and want to make your own chips? All you need are a few potatoes, flour (if you want your chips crunchy), salt and some cooking oil! You can use an air fryer, but this recipe is all about frying in oil! We are cooking amazing chips!
- Potatoes of any variety (we used red salad potatoes). You will need around 3 to 4 small red potatoes or one large potato per serving
- Any flour i.e. corn starch, plain flour, self raising flour etc.
- Any cooking oil (we used vegetable oil)
- Salt, pepper, chicken salt, sauces (optional)
- Get your potatoes and wash them.
- Peel or leave the skin on the potatoes, then cut them into wedges or chip shapes
- Put some flour onto a plate or in a bowl and coat the potato wedges until they are completely covered in the flour. The flour is what makes them really crunchy. If you don’t have any flour or don’t want to use flour, you can cook the potato chips without it, but you won’t get your chips as crunchy.
- Heat some cooking oil in a pan on the stove top or you can use your chip fryer and wait till its hot. Test by seeing some bubbles or by putting a chip into the oil and it will sizzle.
- When the oil is hot put the potato chips (or wedges) into the oil and fry for around 5 minutes or just until you see the outside is starting to look a browny shade and feeling crunchy on the outside. If your chips don’t look golden or aren’t looking ready just take a chip out and if it feels crunchy on the outside it’s ready. You can even taste the chip and break it open to see if the inside is cooked. What you should be seeing is a crunchy outside and a soft and cooked inside.
- When cooked, take the potatoes out of the oil and drain them well to get rid of the excess oil. Your chips are ready to eat.
- BUT if you want even more crunch you can double fry. Put the chips back into the oil for a minute. Then take out the chips and drain off the oil. Many people double fry and sometimes its needed and other times not. It depends on what potatoes you use, how long you cooked it for the first time. For bigger potatoes you should double fry them for the best chips.
- Cover the chips in salt, pepper and your favourite seasonings and serve!
- We hope you enjoy your chips or wedges – whatever you wish to call them!